Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sixty Cent Bread

Quick and easy bread. Takes maybe 30 minutes to make and cook, costs you 60 cents in ingredients.

Recipe:
2 1/5 cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 Tbsp dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp olive oil/canola oil

Throw it all in a mixer, use dough hook. (Can also knead by hand.) Add herbs if desired. Turn out onto floured surface, cut into 3 parts, (I usually braid mine as I use it for snack food, can also be used for a hard shell bun or a hard shell loaf) roll out 3 parts into snakes, braid them. Smush together both tips. Cover in butter or oil, maybe some salt if you like pretzels, bake for 20 minutes.

Add milk if you prefer a much softer bread. This is still pretty soft, especially when warm. Think inside of a pretzel.


I used to sell these when I was in college, made an extra $200 a month doing this, and I could do it while studying, or cooking supper. It's super easy, super delicious, as a loaf makes great sandwich bread, I also added dried fruit sometimes for a pull apart delicious bread. Cinnamon and icing works too. Have fun with it!

Happy frugal baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment