Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cut the Cord!

We cancelled our digital cable and have not looked back for one second.

One day we bought a $800 desktop, while it was on sale at FutureShop, hooked it up to our living room tv (our only tv) and called Bell to cancel our cable service.

It cost us $180 to cancel our Bell service, but it was $200 a month for said service, so that was a no-brainer. See what your contract entails, sometimes you can cancel for free if they broke anything in the contract, such as mistakes during billing periods or denying services that you were paying for. Read the fine print!

We stream and torrent everything we enjoy watching now. As well at we have a Netflix account that is shared between my whole family, and several friends. This means we don't pay a penny for Netflix. Setting up the American Netflix Hack was a must, as our Canadian Netflix has limited titles, especially in the movie department. This is the video I watched showing me how to set up the hack, and this is the website you can download the program at. I used ProXPN which is a free service, you can easily turn it on and off. I have yet to notice any sort of a glitch or error while running the program.

Once we cut the cord we were also able to sell my boyfriend's xbox360, and still trying to sell my PS3. This is because we play most everything on our desktop now. Steam is a great company to buy desktop games from, as well as they have great sales every once in awhile, and fantastic indie games to try out.

I am still in the process of trying to find a way to hook up my PS3 controllers to my desktop, so I can play games off of Steam in comfort.

Anyone else cut the cord? How was your process?

1 comment:

  1. I really want to cut the cord, maybe I will someday. Do you have a library near you? If so you can try to get dvds from there, that's what I do because I don't have Netflix.

    ReplyDelete